Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Packing 101

Organization makes me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside. Post-it notes are my one true weakness (there are currently 7 that are stuck on and around my computer right now). Making lists and ticking things off might as well be a hobby (yeah, I’m guilty of putting things on the list that I have already done, just so I can tick them off...so what?), and there is a reason I don’t own a label maker, nothing in this house would be spared.

So when it comes to packing, I like to do the pile thing.
T-shirts, tanks, even long sleeves, but not long johns, they are their own entity.
Rain gear, outer layers, fleece.
Pants and shorts.
Bandanas and bathers.
Cats...nice try Roxy.
Toque, mitts, ball cap.
Underwear, socks.
Sarong and towel, no, put those with Bandanas and bathers.
And yes, those are labels on all my bags of diabetes supplies. I've spared you the spreadsheets, calculations, order forms and phone calls that went into determining what I even needed for this trip!

I like to blame this preoccupation with orderliness on diabetes. Having the Big D facilitates a need to be on top of things, to have thought things through, to have a backup plan, to (here we go again) have all your bits together. Or at least that’s what I like to think. And for the most part, being organized pays off.

Except for that one time in early spring when I was freaking out trying to get changed out of my warm clothes and into my long johns in my tent in below zero temperatures, as I fought with the ¾ zipper on my shirt....Rob calmly, but slightly snarkily I might add, stated...”Well, if you didn’t zip up and perfectly fold your pyjamas every morning, this may not be such a problem at night”. Touché.

But you know what? I really like it when things are organized. And gosh darn it, I am going to have the most organized panniers that used bike has ever seen!

2 comments:

Sara said...

aww roxy wants to go to NZ :)
(p.s. this is chuck! i love this blog alredy, you better write a ton!)

Emily Rauhala said...
This comment has been removed by the author.