The clincher was that there was going to be these two guys talking about some cycling trip they had done in Africa.
At that point, I was in the throws of planning this New Zealand trip and was dying to hear from anyone who had cycled...and these guys had Type 1! Even better.
So I went...and dragged my mom along too.
As it turned out, the decision to go to that conference was one of the best that I have made in a long time. I left feeling inspired, empowered and excited about being part of the Type 1 community. The people were the best part. At the end of the day, there was a handful of outdoorsy, athletic Type 1's chatting about future possibilites of getting some kind of group together for OURSELVES. The connections were made.
I had introduced myself to the cycling guys - Tom and Jonny, and picked their brains about my upcoming adventure. Go for it, they urged. Jonny mentioned that he was headed to New Zealand in the upcoming year...maybe we'll see each other down there, we joked.
Well, I went for it (obviously).
And I kept in touch.
So yesterday, two Paradigm pumps met in the square in downtown Christchurch, New Zealand.
They shared travel stories and blueprints for future adventures.
Both of our partners, Rob and Melanie were there too.
They shared travel stories and blueprints for future adventures.
Both of our partners, Rob and Melanie were there too.
They had their own stories to share about travelling, adventuring and living with a Type 1.
They both claimed (proudly) that they could tell when Jonny and I were 'low' before even we could.
They were talking about us and we were sitting right there!
But secretly, I loved it. I love that these people know so much about us, our diabetes and are so supportive of our diabetes-related idiosyncracies.
Anyways, there was lots to talk about and it was great to have a fellow pumper around, if only for a few hours.
Anyways, there was lots to talk about and it was great to have a fellow pumper around, if only for a few hours.
No comments:
Post a Comment