Fresh water seemed to be a highly under-used resource. With the amount of rain that NZ receives on it's West Coast each year (upwards of 9 meters in some places!), they should really consider installing a giant floating funnel in the sky, collecting a large portion of rainwater that could then be diverted to places in need...other parts of NZ, Australia, Africa, etc.
Brilliant! I thought.
As it turns out however, New Zealand actually is using their fresh water resources, but in a slightly differnt way.
Dam it!
For the past few days we have been riding along a series of lakes, canals and 8 different dams.
Water flowing from the glaciers in the Southern Alps is carefully diverted, held up and released to supply power to New Zealand.
A few weeks ago, we visited another power station on our way out to Doubtful Sound on the West Coast. Here, they have drilled a massive 10km tunnel through a mountain ( no small feat!), which allows a lake to drain out to the sea...in the process, it turns a few turbines and voila! Power! Serious business down here!
I am still not too sure where all this power is going. The population of all of New Zealand is about the same as the city of Toronto.
Water flowing from the glaciers in the Southern Alps is carefully diverted, held up and released to supply power to New Zealand.
I am still not too sure where all this power is going. The population of all of New Zealand is about the same as the city of Toronto.
Anyways, it got me to thinking...
My pump is like a dam.
I can control the flow and output of insluin to meet my energy requirements, or lack there of.
Although the relationship is opposite, I slow the insulin to a trickle when I need the tubines to run full bore. This analogy came to me as I reduced my basal today beside these massive red pipes diverting water.
My pump is like a dam.
I can control the flow and output of insluin to meet my energy requirements, or lack there of.
Although the relationship is opposite, I slow the insulin to a trickle when I need the tubines to run full bore. This analogy came to me as I reduced my basal today beside these massive red pipes diverting water.
I don't think I will ever get over the dramatic impact that exercise has on the amount of insluin that I need to send through the turbines.
What ends up happening is huge insulin conservation, a full reservoir!
If only all the dams in New Zealand could conserve water like I conserve insulin!
Although I guess they don't really need to, there is lots more water where that came from and luckily, I still have lots more cold insulin waiting in my holding tanks...but that's not what conservation is all about now is it?
1 comment:
NZ might do well sending some of that water over to Oz (even though they aren't too fond of the 'criminal element' as my Kiwi friends call them)...they are currently facing a huge water shortage, so much so that they have started desalinating water from the ocean ( http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11134967 )
anyhoo...the more you know.
Post a Comment