Everyday, we ride past numerous stacks of different coloured, weathered wooden boxes. Sometimes, the air above the stacks is thick with busy bees. As we ride by, we can hear the buzzing. Othertimes, the boxes appear still and quiet, at least from afar, with only a few bees coming and going.
I have no idea what happens within those boxes, to me it one of life's great secrets, but I know that the result of whatever is going on in there is sweet, soothing and even healing.
Here in New Zealand, the result of some bees' mystery work is Manuka honey- a honey with antibacterial properties so strong it is used in hospitals to treat infection.
On weekends, the people of New Zealand seem to mimick a similar pattern of behaviour.
While the towns and cities bustle with action during weekdays, the weekends find those same streets still and quiet, as if everyone has retreated to their hives to carry on with their secret lives.
Although this can sometimes be frustrating for an outsider with no secret life of their own, I am beginning to appreciate the value of these secret lives. At home, I am accustomed to being able to get whatever I want, whenever I want it. I know there will always be a grocery store open, and I will always be able to find a cafe, restaurant or store to browse through. I never even check open or closing times. Things are just always open it seems.
But here, people live secret weekend lives where they step away from work, shopping, 24-7 consumerism and the frantic pace of life that this creates.
Maybe it is just a coincidence, but we have noticed that the people of New Zealand are warm, friendly, laid-back and generous, among other honorable traits. They seem to have found balance between work and play.
I have no idea what they are doing in their hives on the weekends, but it seems, that like the bees, the result is something sweet, soothing and even healing.
1 comment:
Hey Chloe.
I just sat down on a cloudy sunday afternoon and read EVERY blog so far..and laughed outloud the whole time..what a great account of your journey! We're jealous...
keep up the wonderful adventure, and keep writing!
Amy
Post a Comment