Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Broken Home...

Rob here again...

What would my Dad do? Better yet I was thinking, what would my Pop do? All I kept imagining was my Pop at the cottage, quietly thinking about a solution to a plumbing or cracked hose problem. He would think so patiently, and then without fail come up with a solution. Alas, I think I may have figured it out. House clamps!

Do I have you wondering yet? Confused maybe? Alarmed? Consult the picture below.

Two nights ago we heard a weird sparking, crackling noise coming from outside. But, we were camped on a beach, in the middle of nowhere, with no one around. Weird. However, when I peaked outside and looked up at our tent poles, it all became clear. One section of our tent poles had cracked. It was not windy or rainy and the pole was not under any unusual stress. It simply cracked. Luckily, the crack is only about 2 inches long and did not keep running down the pole.

This is where the hose clamps come into play. About 5 kilometres down the road the next morning, Chlo stopped to turned down her Basal rate and this is when the idea sprung into my head. "Chlo, I think I have the solution...Hose Clamps" Needless to say, all I could think about for the rest of the ride to Oamaru was getting into town and finding "Plumbing supplies" to fix our home. After a hard ride, into a headwind for 50 Km, we made it to the 'Mitre 10' - A Home Depot of sorts. I found the hose clamps and quickly went outside to start the repair job. Leatherman in hand, I squeezed the clamps around the broken pole. Luckily, our tent has a new pole system that has sliding knuckles, that can move between to the two adjoining poles (that might not make sense). Regardless, the knuckle is now fixed under the broken section of the pole and consequently giving the hose clamps structure to squeeze the crack.

We are fixed! Home repaired. Thanks Pop!

Rob...signing off!

1 comment:

mom- said...

Rob you are so right about Pop. I knew you could fix it
love Mom