Thursday, February 28, 2008

Blogger Rookie...








Rob here...Blogger rookie no more.






After reading Chlo's last blog (we are sorry that was so long ago, we have been away from internet access) I knew it was time to write my first blog.

First things first...I don't really know much about blogger etiquette or blogger lingo, but I am pretty sure that Chloe is a bit early in her blogger career to be calling me out on my lack of bloggerness. I mean really, she has only been blogging for 4 weeks and in my books she would also still be regarded as a rookie...that is my effort at a retort.

I have been thinking about writing a post for a few weeks now and in that time I have thought of many topics, had many ideas, but most of all I have been trying to think of something witty to write. Here is a short list of possible topics that I have thought of, written down, day dreamt and/or thrown Chlo's way for a reaction. Should I talk about "the shortness of men's shorts in New Zealand" or "the use and application of Butt Chaffe Cream or "my experiences living, travelling and cycling with a diabetic."


Cycling Chaffe Cream...It's the real Deal!

"The Key to a Winning Performance"



After lots of thought and many reminders from Chloe sounding similiar to "you have to remember who is reading this" I figure I should write about my perspectives of Powered by Pumping as a non-diabetic. Spending every day talking about diabetes and witnessing expert diabetes management, I have realized that I too could keep a blog that would be valuable for partners of diabetics who may have qualms about travelling and adventuring with a diabetic.



Over the past 6 years I have come to learn a lot about diabetes. I know all the jargon, the lingo and all the little instruments that help Chlo manage her diabetes. If you know Chlo, you know how organized she is, which I believe has helped me learn about her management of diabetes because she always has a plan (and sticks to it) and likes to keep things on schedule. This consistency really helps out a non-diabetic slowly learning the daily doings of a diabetic.



As for the cycling journey...I am just starting to get into the swing of diabetic things. I now know that I should give Chlo a friendly reminder to make sure she has turned down her Basal rate (the rate and amount of which her insulin pump gives her insulin) for the day to ensure she does not go Low because of the consistent exercise we are about to do (cycling for upwards of 6 hours a day). I have come to embrace the many short Diabetic stops needed throughout the day. Quick stops may be needed to have a snack (Fruit source bars when available), to test blood sugar levels, to have a quick drink of juice or to take a pee (these breaks happen quite often).



One last thing before I sign off...Food. Food is a constant on Chlo's brain. If you were to stop her randomly on the street or on her bike and ask her what she is thinking about...she will say food. She is always thinking about something delicious to make, bake or create. I rarely, if ever, have complained about her cooking or creations, but travelling on a budget with Chlo is hard, rather impossible. She has a burning desire to eat fresh...fruit, veggies, eggs and baby lambs that she sees on the side of the road...well maybe not. This love of fresh is two fold. First of all the food is deliciously healthly and secondly much of it does not "count" (does not require much or any insulin) to regulate her blood sugar levels. Needless to say, if I was travelling alone I would be eating a lot more bread and peanut butter (and possibly save money) however, we have come to an understanding that food is worth the money. We could spend money on brutal touristy tours, or we could eat well...no question really.





This photo is from our Boat Journey of Doubtful Sound, Chlo will add a post soon with more details! Happy reading! Rob

2 comments:

aunt chris said...

Guest blogger did okay!
Love Aunt Chris

Sara said...

Good job, Rob! Seriously though, i think i need more info about that cream....OMG WHERE DOES IT GO???

...oh my.