Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Slowing Down


So far, the thing I like best about cycle touring is the change of pace.
Robbie and I have driven across Canada a few times. Sometimes really fast, and other times, taking what we thought was a slower pace. But riding a bike is a whole new world.
In the car, I often have trouble convincing the driver (I will not name names here) to stop.
I suppose I have abused my privileges in the past.
On our first road trip, I insisted on stopping and taking our photo with every 'BIG' thing we came across...and just about every small town in Canada has a BIG thing, be it a lobster, nickel, goose or easter egg...the easter egg in fact was the last straw.

In the car, things whizz by. I get whiplash trying to figure out what that road side stand was selling, what that hand printed sign was for and where that cool driveway led to.
But on the bike....it is sightseeing, rubbernecking, gawking, ogling PARADISE!
(although I am still not very good at turning my head without turning my entire bike, but this will come with practice I am sure).
Just a quick grab on the breaks and voila!
I can take all the photos I like- beautiful flowers, friendly cows, pretty rocks, awesome views, funny signs and even BIG things...although I haven't seen any in New Zealand yet.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Chlo! Wikipedia has just told me the list of BIG things in New Zealand:
World's Largest Carrot, Ohakune
World's Largest Crayfish, Kaikoura
World's Largest Kiwifruit, Te Puke
World's Largest Sandfly, Greymouth

YOU MUST FIND THAT CARROT, i require a photo of it!