Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Do these come with training wheels?

WE GOT OUR BICYCLES!!

Hedley, from Natural High hooked us up with two sweet rides. We spent over an hour in the bike shop learning how to change a tire, patch a tube, lube a chain, attach a pannier, swivel a seat and fit our bikes to minimize the hurt that is waiting over the first pass.

We rolled out on our new wheels and hit the streets of Christchurch....literally.
Within the first 10 minutes, I got nervous as a car came up behind me, tried to stop, couldn't get my foot out of the pedal cage and went elbow first (hip second) into a parked car.
Of course, the driver was IN his car. I don't know who was more shocked, but I managed to pull myself together enough to mouth "SORRY, SORRY, SORRY" and race away after Rob.
Since then, we have spent lots of time on the roads getting used to our bikes as well as the whole "wrong side of the road" thing.
Today, our couch surfing hosts took me out on a training ride (they are training for a 130km road race). It was 75km of relative flatness with a few slightly rolling hills. It went pretty well, however during the last 10km, if anyone had appeared on the road and was in need of a bike, I would have sold it for whatever they would have given me. Luckily, all I saw was a hedgehog, a donkey and a bunch of sheep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chloe! I LOVE YOU! You had me and Shawn seriously lol-ing! It will get better I promise! But keep the stories coming, they have been the highlight of my weeks, and I'm sure many weeks to come...

miss you