Thursday, February 7, 2008

First Day on the Road

We woke up early this morning. Our panniers were already packed and waiting by the door, water bottles were filled and camera batteries charged. After a hearty breakfast, we were ready.
Today was the first day of our real cycle adventure! And we were headed for Arthur's Pass, no small feat for two rookie cyclists. Lying at over 1000m above sea level in the heart of the massive mountain chain that divides the West from the East here on the South Island, the little town is one of the high points of New Zealand...literally!

So....we took the train!!

Insert picture of Chloe and Rob on TransApline Train here.
(I had great pics of us on the train, riding in style in First Class (we got upgraded somehow) but I dropped my camera and they seem to have all erased themselves. Oh well, not like that was a once in a lifetime experience or anything.)

2 comments:

alyss said...

Hahaha, I like your training regime. (No pun intended.) (Oh god, I have become my father.) Reminds me of our prep for the Cabot - sat in the van and carbo-loaded all the way to Cape Breton. Glad you got your bikes all geared up and a couple rides in already! And your couch-surfing experience sounds amazing!

Hope the camera decides to recover soon, love the photos.

xo
a

Designer: Jen Valberg said...

Great updates - keep em coming!

Also, if it makes you feel any better I never actually got used to having my feet clipped in...after two months of riding I still had those awkward moments where your bike starts falling to the side and your foot is stuck in your pedal and all you can do is watch as your body goes crashing down. Wait did I say you? I meant I. Maybe I am just awkward in general. I think so.

Hope your first bit of cycling is going well! Thinking of you both.
Jen