Friday, February 22, 2008

The camper van that spoke the truth


"life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"

I saw it plastered on the side of a camper van today.

We took a REAL REST DAY in Queenstown. Kind of counter intuitive as it is the adventure capital of the world. People come specifically to get their adrenaline pumping.
But today, we rested. And by rest, I mean planned.
Normally, I like planning and I like plans...just another form of organization, and I like organization as I've mentioned before. But in the past few weeks, I've really suprised myself. I do not want a plan and I have been getting super anxious when we have had to make said plans.
What if we book something and then can't make it there on time? What if we find something cool on the side of the road...like a sheep hearding that I need to stop and take part in? What if there is a possum that needs saving? What if we get invited to help milk 600 cows twice a day for a week (I actually saw this posted on a board today), what if...?
But today was D-day. We had time, internet access, a phone card and deadlines to book flights to leave the country so we don't get "escorted" out. I've heard this doesn't make you popular internationally.

Apparently, the old me would have really liked this part of the country. Everyone has booked everything weeks in advance. Which means the unorganized, fly-by-the-seat-of-their-pantser's (aka the new, no matter how temporarily, me) are left...out of luck. Okay, well maybe not totally, but at least not with their first choice.

Now this is a huge sob story for someone who is in one of the most incredible places in the world, seeing unbelievable sights and doing once in a lifetime kind of things everyday...and this is my point. How can making arrangements to do the things you've been dreaming about doing for years be so stressful?
So I guess Queenstown worked it's magic on me, got my adrenaline pumping, if not in the usual, 'throw-yourself-head-first-off-a-bridge-or-out-of-a-plane' kind of way. But more in the 'grab-a-coffee, get-a-grip, make-peace-with-the-money-spent-on-internet-and-phone-calls and just-go-for-the-booking-planning-organizational-ride' kind of way.

In any case, I sure am looking forward to getting back to living tomorrow.

No comments: