Pit, pat, pit, pat, pit, pit, pat. The rain continued to fall. But we had a 'plan'. It was cruise day. So we packed the wet tent, put on full head-to-toe rain gear and headed down to the dock. When we boarded the boat there was no sign of it stopping. Luckily, there was a covered, glassed-in portion of the boat....which steamed up within 10 minutes of the 20 tourists getting on board.
"Hope everyone's dressed for rain" our guide/driver/captain said "No wind today, so no chance of this blowing over. But don't worry, Doubtful Sound comes alive in the rain".
Doubtful, I thought.
And then there they were again...those rainbows! And some of the most incredible scenery and topography I have ever seen.
"You are one lucky group" the guide said with a coy smile.
I think he was just putting us on with the 'rain all day' lecture, but it really did make the day that much sweeter, expecting rain and getting rainbows instead.
I think he was just putting us on with the 'rain all day' lecture, but it really did make the day that much sweeter, expecting rain and getting rainbows instead.
At first the sun peaked through the clouds, next it spread them apart creating huge swaths of sky blue. Before we knew it, we were cuising through Doubtful Sound towards the Tasman Sea, sunshine on our faces, wind in our hair, mist rising in the fiords, rainbows arching overhead and just to top it off....a pod of bottlenose DOLPHINS swimming and playing alongside the boat.
We sat out on the deck sipping tea and hot chocolate and eating 'free' cookies, taking it all in.
We sat out on the deck sipping tea and hot chocolate and eating 'free' cookies, taking it all in.
At one point Rob looked over to me...
"So THIS is what it feels like to be a tourist"
I just smiled and nodded.
"I guess so!"
No comments:
Post a Comment